Ammo For Sale

« « guns in restaurants | Home | Private Transfer & Gun Show Bill Update » »

Revolvers don’t jam but

Video of S&W 625 malfunction during an IPSC match:

Update: Guy who shot the video discusses it here.

22 Responses to “Revolvers don’t jam but”

  1. Les Jones Says:

    The front screw on the right side of the frame holds the cylinder yoke in place. If it falls out of the gun the cylinder yoke and cylinder come out, by design.

    Solution: don’t unscrew that screw or leave it loose. Duh.

  2. Caleb Says:

    There are no magic swords, kids.

  3. Jeff the Baptist Says:

    Ditto. The gun broke. It happens. Especially in competition shooting when you are practicing regularly.

    This was an unspectacular firearms failure. No firing out of time. No kaboom with bits of things flying about. I fail to see what was so epic about it. This is common fail.

  4. Les Jones Says:

    Caleb: I totally agree that there are no magic swords.

    However, there’s another saying that applies here: it’s the poor musician who blames his instrument. This guy obviously has no clue how his gun is assembled and disassembled. He just learned that the hard way, but instead of taking it as a learning experience he posted a video on YouTube saying that his gun sucks.

    I’d have a lot more sympathy if the cylinder rod unscrewed and bound up the gun. That’s a failure you can’t easily see coming.

  5. Rustmeister Says:

    I have a revolver that jams on a regular basis. It’s my Blackhawk chambered in .30 Carbine.

    If I use hot loads, the cases back out and jam that puppy up tighter than a drum.

    Regular UMC stuff, no problem.

    I with they’d make a Redhawk and used moon clips. .30 Carbine is a blast to shoot out of a pistol.

  6. Rabbit Says:

    Rusty, I’m glad to know I’m not the only one with that problem.

    I’ve got to make close inspections on OAL of any cases I reload for mine. Even then, some of the (cough)warm stuff I load really makes the thing tough to rotate. Never had the pin back out of it, though.

    Somebody needs to make sure the guy in the video stays away from screwdrivers. It’s for the children!

    Regards,
    Rabbit.

  7. nk Says:

    Well, actually, a revolver is only as good as its weakest part — the hand, a sliver of a thing, which indexes the cylinder. The semi-auto pistol people, Browning and Walther in particular, were right. A robust firing mechanism with a robust feeding system that only needs to be properly angled and polished.

  8. Alchemyst Says:

    What Les Jones said!!! The shooter is young and obviously inexperienced. Hell when I was a teenager I could screw up a good f@#k. Without more info I just don’t know what happened – pilot error, poor QA at S&W on the metalurgy but I’d guess, Okam’s razor, it was pilot error.

    Rustmeister give it a try with cartridges and cylinder bores that have been completely degreased. Use a solvent soaked rag and wipe down both. I’ve a long story in which this saved the day. If you’re interested email me. dlowie@yahoo.com

  9. KCSteve Says:

    Reading the AR15.com thread it appears (I’m on my ultraportable which makes that forum load slow) that the screw is still there.

    He said he bought the gun new 2 years ago and hadn’t shot it much.

    My guess: screw was overtightend during manufacture and broke after X number of rounds.

    In other words, stuff happens.

  10. Caleb Says:

    Caleb: I totally agree that there are no magic swords.

    However, theres another saying that applies here: its the poor musician who blames his instrument.

    This I also agree with. The moral of the story should be that because there are no magic swords, it behooves the operator to know your tools and keep them properly maintained.

  11. Tomcatshanger Says:

    Some of you guys might wanna sip from the cup of STFU. You are making really stupid assumptions without any concrete basis for them. This makes yall look pretty stupid.

    His gun broke. He didn’t break it. He didn’t have the side plate off. Nothing unscrewed. He didn’t shoot the hell out of it previously.

    The cheap piece of crap Yoke Screw that Smith and Wesson uses failed. That makes it a piece of crap weapon.

    Blaming the shooter is just dumb without any evidence that the shooter did the deed.

  12. Ach Says:

    “Blaming the shooter is just dumb without any evidence that the shooter did the deed.”

    Experience dictates that 98% of the time – it’s operator error. It’s not dumb. It is playing the probabilities. This might indeed fall into the 2%. But dumb? I think you doth protest too much.

  13. Tomcatshanger Says:

    Giggle.

    I protest too much saying it’s dumb to jump to conclusions based on no facts.

    Giggle.

    Others blame the shooter….

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

    Yeah, my bad.

  14. Lyle Says:

    I’ve had screws come loose too. So make sure they’re tight. If the presence of a screw makes a gun a “piece of shit” then practically all guns are pieces of shit. If the screw was too short to begin with, OK then there’s a minor QC issue. Shit happens. Pick up the pieces, put it back together, learn from it, and don’t let it happen again.

  15. Caleb Says:

    And above all, don’t act like a cockfag on the internet where it will be recorded and mocked for all of posterity. Because no matter which way you feel about S&W, this cat acted like a dick.

  16. Dave Says:

    I smell a little BS on the shooters part. He said he replaced the hammer spring, but never had the side plate off. If you have had the gun for years and done work on it but never pulled the side plate, you need to have a little training in firearms maintenance

  17. Tam Says:

    The magnitude of total ignorance of how the weapon functioned and the sheer fucking stupid that was displayed in the linked thread and the caption bubbles of the video is why I don’t hardly post on gun forums anymore.

  18. Tam Says:

    The gun broke. It happens. Especially in competition shooting when you are practicing regularly.

    Quoted For Truth.

    If you’ve never broken a gun, you don’t shoot enough to play on my team.

  19. TexasFred Says:

    This guy looked pretty *rookie* to me, that said, guns DO break.

    My Dad was a gunsmith, that was how I got into shooting at such a young age, I can’t point to ANY one thing in particular here, all I can say is, I had what many consider to be a very reliable handgun jam up on me, a Glock 19 I carried as a duty weapon a few years back, and it jammed tight in the middle of an Op that went VERY hot…

    I would quite likely be dead today if it hadn’t been for the S&W Chief I carried for a backup…

    There is a ton of difference between poking holes and REAL world gun fights, I love to hear the paper punchers rave… 🙂

  20. Matt Groom Says:

    Which is why I always say “No matter what you carry, carry a backup.”

    Most of the problems I’ve had with S&W 625’s is that of light stikes when using ACP. I have a model of 1989 which has two chambers which will not ignite the primers AT ALL without a moonclip, and then they will on occasion fail to fire. No such problems with Auto Rim, which it looks like this guy was using (Loose ammo which ejected). The use of .45 AR for competition to me says “Experienced Shooter”. You can’t buy .45 AR at Walmart, ergo he’s probably a reloader, too.

    He says he changed out the mainspring, which means he had the side plate off. The screw might have been loose, and then failed. I’ve never heard of these screw breaking but if you have the cylinder open, and you jam in a moonclip hard enough and frequently enough, the only thing absorbing all of that force is that little numb on that screw. It makes sense to me that that screw might break eventually. Shit happens. All guns break eventually. Luckily, this is an easy fix and nobody got hurt.

  21. Number9 Says:

    Intuition was a little shaky. After the first reload failure I would have stopped, taken the gun outside and inspected it. Why he tried two more times to reload makes no sense.

    Seemed pretty green.

  22. Jennifer Says:

    In the interest of full disclosure, I will tell you that I’m a big fan of Smith & Wesson. But, I did have the pleasure of learning that even their finest tools sometimes need extra attention. Please forgive the link to a very old post of mine.
    http://injennifershead.com/?p=82
    I’m betting user error here. Either he didn’t tighten the screw, or he cranked it down beyond what was ever intended. Maybe it was a problem with the metallurgy. I know from experience (photographic evidence in the link) that it happens. It happens with Smith & Wesson even in the Performance Center line. I doubt it though. He got under the plate (yeah, I have too) and he didn’t put it back right.
    And still, shit happens. Where’s the backup? We live in a fallen world, stuff breaks.