Ammo For Sale

« « I blame the expiration of assault weapons ban! | Home | Unpossible » »

I wonder who he could mean

Seen at Rusty’s:

Josh Sugarman (sic) obtained his FFL about 15 years ago. Sugarman’s (sic) group, the Violence Policy Center, is an anti-gun group that advocates for stricter gun regulations. Sugarman (sic) tells WTOP, he got the license as part of a research project, and despite numerous phone calls, he will not sell guns.

“The bloggers put my phone number out there, and people have been calling to ask how much I’ll charge to transfer guns,” Sugarman (sic) says.

I wonder who he could be talking about? And in case you were wondering:

There are only six Federal Firearms Licensees in the District. WTOP contacted all six, and found only one is considering facilitating the transfers of handguns once the law changes.

The FFLs are held by Arena Stage, The Shakespeare Theater Company, Josh Sugarman of the Violence Policy Center, The U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, K S Supply and Cs Exchange Ltd.

Rusty wonders why Sugarmann renewed his permit this year if it was for a ‘research project’.

Update: Original post here. NK reminds us, as mentioned in the original post, I believe that a requirement of an FFL is that you do sell guns? FFLs, what say you? Yes, it is.

20 Responses to “I wonder who he could mean”

  1. nk Says:

    I believe that a requirement of an FFL is that you do sell guns? FFLs, what say you?

  2. Mindy Says:

    I must be bad.
    I posted Josh Sugarman FFL status and Address (VCP’s that is) on the DCist a while back.
    I figured I would do my part to provide him some much needed income doing transfers.

  3. Paul Boughton Says:

    When I was looking at an FFL it was required that the holder have a place of business. According to the agent I talked with he had just busted a guy selling out of his car using an FFL. If the Violence Policy Center has a store front, they are legal. They would also need a state sales tax stamp, as well as a Federal EIN number to report income from sales of said firearms the FFL allows to sell.

    Personally I would love to see the guy in jail, much like he would like to see us.

  4. Paul Boughton Says:

    As a further note, the CCR was created for the guy who wanted to collect firearms. They can only recieve firearms that are more than 50 years old. That is the main difference in my poor understanding.

  5. Retread Says:

    What are Arena Stage and The Shakespeare Theater Company doing with FFLs?

  6. Nomen Nescio Says:

    … the Shakespeare Theater Company? okay, i can see why they’d be interested in flashbang-capable stage props, but surely even in D.C. you don’t need an FFL for those?

  7. Sebastian-PGP Says:

    Ha! Friend of mine works there at Shakespeare, I’ve left her a vmail asking her to call me and tell me if I can get her to start doing FFLs for me…I’ll collect a small surcharge for the service :).

  8. DirtCrashr Says:

    I believe that in Theater the licensing required to handle stage-explosives and be a Union Stage Pyrotechnician must cover any and all handling of prop-firearms too.

    As far as “projects” go, I think he just misspelled “projection” – but doesn’t even a simple spelling error get the BATFE in a big old SWATY lather?

  9. USCitizen Says:

    “… contacted all six, and found only one is considering facilitating the transfers .”

    Which one? I may have some business for them.

    – USCitizen

  10. countertop Says:


    I know of some others . . . but they are all defense department contractor/arms dealer types.

  11. chris Says:

    heres the ATF regs

    ATF will approve the application if the applicant:

    * Is 21 years of age or older;

    * Is not prohibited from shipping, transporting, receiving or possessing firearms or ammunition;

    * Has not willfully violated the GCA or its regulations;

    * Has not willfully failed to disclose material information or willfully made false statements concerning material facts in connection with his application;

    * Has premises for conducting business or collecting; and

    o The applicant certifies that:

    1. the business to be conducted under the license is not prohibited by State or local law in the place where the licensed premises is located;

    2. within 30 days after the application is approved the business will comply with the requirements of State and local law applicable to the conduct of the business;

    3. the business will not be conducted under the license until the requirements of State and local law applicable to the business have been met;

    4. the applicant has sent or delivered a form to the chief law enforcement officer where the premises is located notifying the officer that the applicant intends to apply for a license; and

    5. secure gun storage or safety devices will be available at any place in which firearms are sold under the license to persons who are not licensees (“secure gun storage or safety device” is defined in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(34)).

    [18 U.S.C. 923(d)(1), 27 CFR 478.47(b)]

  12. chris Says:

    more from the same link

    (A1) Does the law regulate who can be in the business? [Back]

    Yes. The Gun Control Act (GCA), administered by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) of the Department of Justice, contains Federal licensing standards for various firearms businesses (manufacturers, importers, and dealers).

    An example of these standards is that the applicant must have a business premises.
    [18 U.S.C. 923(d), 27 CFR 478.47]

  13. countertop Says:

    wondering how they would treat a law office?

  14. Sulaco Says:

    OK, so who is going to file the complaint with the ATF?

  15. Gunstar1 Says:

    Chris, you did not highlight what could also be a problem:

    1. the business to be conducted under the license is not prohibited by State or local law in the place where the licensed premises is located;

    DC’s zoning codes must allow for the selling of firearms at the location. If they are in a building not zoned for selling of firearms they could also be in violation (I have no idea of DC’s laws so they may or may not be in violation).

  16. John Hardin Says:

    I wonder if his office is within 1000 feet of a school?

  17. FFL FAQ Says:

    (C10) May a person obtain a dealer’s license to engage in business only at gun shows?

    No. A license may only be issued for a permanent premises at which the license applicant intends to do business. A person having such license may conduct business at gun shows located in the State in which the licensed premises is located and sell and deliver curio or relic firearms to other licensees at any location.

    [18 U.S.C. 923(a) and (j)]

  18. tom swift Says:

    There are currently nine types of FFL. A Type 01 is a dealer in firearms, a Type 02 is a pawnbroker, a Type 03 is a collector of Curios & Relics, a Type 06 is a manufacturer of ammunition, etc. As usual when the government is involved, the descriptions in the titles don’t tell the whole story. A “dealer in firearms” could be a wholesaler (a distributor), a retailer (like a gun shop or sporting goods store), or a gunsmith. The gunsmith need not be actively buying or selling guns; if he takes guns into his “possession” (that is, keeps them overnight for anything more than trivial work) he must log them in and back out as “transfers,” which are like sales but with no money involved. Even though he’s not “selling” the customer’s guns, he generally needs the 01 FFL.

    It’s all a royal pain in the crank.

  19. htom Says:

    It can be handy for a theatre to have an FFL because of the need to modify firearms in the prop shop, and to keep them afterwards. Sometimes they used sawed-off firearms as props, too, or as the workings of prop guns that must fire.

  20. John Davies Says:

    I wonder why he is listed on