Ammo For Sale

« « Get your survival on | Home | I’m sure most people will disagree » »

Overreact much

So, someone breaks a thermometer and spills the tiny bit of mercury. This, of course, leads to several dozen first responders showing up.

10 Responses to “Overreact much”

  1. #9 Says:

    Remember when you were a kid and teacher would let you roll mercury around in your hand? Ironically that was back in the day when kids actually learned things in school.

    How did we every survive elementary school?

  2. Standard Mischief Says:

    Was it last year or the year before that mecury spills in DC public school shut down those locations for weeks at a time? Then they bungled the clean-up, and had to shut things down again.

    http://www.google.com/search?q=DC+schools+mercury+spill

  3. Rustmeister Says:

    I heard this on the radio, in the morning show’s “Knuckle Draggin’ Retards” segment.

  4. Captain Holly Says:

    I posted over at Ravnwood’s that even the EPA doesn’t consider a mercury spill from a thermometer big enough to require a professional cleanup. I’d guess the local HazMat team has learned enough stuff to make them dangerous but not enough to make them smart.

  5. Captain Holly Says:

    Although, I would add that I highly doubt there were several dozen first-responders showing up…more like a half dozen; one or two engine platoons and maybe a cop or two.

  6. AughtSix Says:

    My teacher didn’t intentionally let us play with the mercury. However, if a thermometer happened to fall on the ground, then, well, she didn’t stop us from playing with it either. One less intelligent student broke an alcohol filled one… he got in trouble for it, and we didn’t get to play with mercury, either. Doh!

  7. Sebastian Says:

    My understanding is that elemental mercury isn’t that hazardous. It’s the various salts of mercury that are dangerous.

  8. Captain Holly Says:

    The hazard from elemental mercury isn’t from the liquid, it’s from the vapor it produces when it evaporates. You breathe it in and most of it goes right into your system, as opposed to the relatively slow absorbtion through the skin when you handle it.

  9. straightarrow Says:

    wish I had a nickel for every dime I shined with mercury in grade school.

    No, waiiiiit a minuuuuute ……..I would lose money on that deal, wouldn’t I? DUH!

  10. Phil-Z Says:

    This sounds like a drill to me, a chance to let the newbies play with the tyvek suits in a setting that wouldn’t kill them if they screwed up. Or that’s what I’d like to think.